Saturday, November 27, 2010

It's coming on Christmas

So today we went and got the Christmas bins from the storage locker in the basement and I put up some decorations. There are 3 boxes of decorations, 2 of which are lights and ornaments for the tree that we don't yet have. So there are only a few things put up. A light up angel, a big Santa, a Nutcracker, a couple of stockings and a centre piece on the coffee table with candles and garland.

I love Christmas. A lot. Always have. My mom made it so special for us growing up - she was so into it. A couple of years ago she painted her giant living room, which has 11 foot ceilings, a really nice dark red, and put in hardwood floors. So whenever she decorates, the entire room becomes so festive. And because she has such a high ceiling, we always pick out a huge tree - sometimes up to 8 feet tall. In recent years she's wanted smaller trees. I think she thinks that since Elyssa and I are old now that we aren't as into it, but we are! I'm super into it. I can't wait to get a tree. This coming weekend I'm going to Nanaimo and going to help decorate my mom's house. Blake and I are going to get a tree in a couple of weeks from the Lions Club. They set up at Fraser and 41st in a highschool's yard. We discovered it while we were living just off Fraser and 45th. We got a tiny little tree for his basement suite - It was very Charlie Brown Christmas tree, we named it Buddy. And after buying the tree we proceeded to this Thrift store where they were selling ornaments for like 10-25 cents a piece, and strands of lights for a buck or two... Unsurprisingly, few of the strands we bought actually worked.

Last year my mom came over for an Alan Jackson concert out in Abbotsford... Oh mom. I stayed at Carla's out in Langley and the day after she came to pick me up and we went for lunch at the Olive Garden, which was tasty! But in all honesty, NO one needs endless soup, salad and breadsticks. It's highly unnecessary. After lunch, we went to Willowbrook and she bought me all these Christmas decorations - she said that when she first had my sister and I, she started collectings tons of decorations and has a really nice collection now, and that she was starting my collection.

I just hope it snows around Christmas, so I can have a white one! I grew up on the west coast and have so seldom had White Christmases!

Anyway, here are a couple of my decorations: The light up Angel, and the Yoshis, chillin' with the baker mice, no big deal.


3 comments:

  1. :D I'm excited too. Dave and I started decorating our place yesterday. Got our tiny tree decked out, got a huge ass poinsettia from his mom and dad, hung up a string of lights on that long table top, rearranged some of the furni, put the nativity set on top of our dining table and got to grab my crafted xmas tree I made from his brothers...want to keep adding! Looove this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love is how you refer to you & your sister as "old now". It takes me back to floor 3, you spending your 20th birthday in the empty room beside mine, drinking Southern Comfort all day because you were "old" even then. You're hilarious dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could "like" your comment, I would! My mom said that though! She said "I thought you two would be too old to want me to go all out anymore" and I was like "no!" in a big huff and then she was like "ok ok!" I'm actually excited to turn 25 in March! I just wish I appeared more like 25 than 15...

    ReplyDelete